Now I love cooking with them they are so versatile & go along way. A great way to cook with courgette is to grate it then you don’t have the watery chunks that I find so horrible. I have used grated courgette to make courgette bread, courgette & feta fritters & great pasta sauces but my favourite courgette recipe (because I couldn’t believe it when they came out right!) is for courgette & feta souffles. Now don’t be scared if I can do it you can!
Feta & Courgette Souffles Recipe
Serves 2 Vegetarian
- 1/2 med courgette grated
- 25gr butter
- 40gr plain flour
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- 110ml milk ( I use goats milk)
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- salt & white/black pepper
- 75gr feta cheese crumbled (Greek if possible the Danish is not as good & made with cow’s milk)
- 2 tbsp parmesan grated
- A handful of chopped mint, coriander & chives
- 3 eggs separated
- Place the grated courgette in a colander, sprinkle with salt, toss slightly, put a small plate on top weighted down with 2 tins & stand the colander on a plate to catch the juices. Leave for about 30 mins.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Squeeze out the grated courgette in a clean tea towel to get rid of any more liquid.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan, stir in the flour & mustard then stir over a med heat for 1 min.
- Remove from the heat & gradually stir in the milk then stir on a med high heat until thickened.
- Add the grated nutmeg
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl with the courgettes, cheeses, herbs & egg yolks then stir to combine(you can refrigerate the mix at this point & do the rest when ready to serve).
- Beat the egg whites to the soft peak stage & gently fold them into the courgette mixture in 2 batches.
- Butter 2 cup size ( holds about 250ml liquid) souffle dishes & carefully pour in the mixture (try not to get any around the rim as this stops it rising)
- Run your thumb carefully around the inside of the rim to make sure it’s clean & free to rise.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 mins until risen & golden
- Serve immediately to rapturous applause!!