Today while walking the dog I walked past lettuces, Romaine, Lollo Rosso and Cos …
Almond trees with their beautiful barely pink blossom….
A bee on wild rosemary flowers…..
Some unexpected pears amongst the ever present mandarins……..
And some goats which reminded of my visit to the local Goat’s Cheese producer “El Pastor del Valle”….
This just shows how my mind works and proves that I am thinking about food all the time. While I am walking the inspiration and ideas come from all around me and somehow work themselves out into a finished dish….
This salad can be served for lunch or as a starter. It would also work as a dessert/cheese course after a meal or with drinks. Just arrange the pears, cheese, almonds and honey on a board with some biscuits and let everyone help themselves. The flavour combination of sour sharp goat’s cheese, sweet honey, juicy pears and crunchy almonds is a lovely alternative to the Stilton, Pear & Walnut classic….
Goat’s Cheese & Pear Salad with Toasted Almonds and Rosemary Honey Dressing
serves 2 vegetarian
- 2 pears, peeled, cored, sliced
- about 150gr goat’s cheese (I used a hard goat’ cheese but you can use a soft rind) sliced
- a handful of toasted almonds, plus extra for garnish
- some mixed lettuce leaves (a big handful each)
- about 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp sherry (Jerez) vinegar (or balsamic)
- 2 tbsp rosemary honey (just use normal honey and add about 1/4 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary if you don’t have any)
- salt & pepper
- rosemary flowers to garnish (if you can find some) but not too many they are very strong
Wash & pick your salad leaves and put them in a large bowl with the sliced pears, cheese and toasted almonds. Pour the olive oil, vinegar and rosemary honey into a small bowl and whisk together well. Season with salt & pepper and taste, you can add more oil/vinegar/honey to your taste. Pour the dressing over the ingredients in the bowl and toss together with your hands. Pile onto your serving plate(s), add a few rosemary flowers onto the cheese & pears and top with some more toasted almonds…
It really is that simple, enjoy!!