I know that it is not strictly speaking asparagus season but it’s still good here so I couldn’t resist. This is a gorgeous brunch dish though it could be breakfast or lunch or even a late supper…
The inspiration for this dish came from a book I bought recently on a trip back to the UK for a wedding. The book is Flavour by Vicky Bhogal & it has loads of really exciting vegetarian recipes that I can’t wait to try. Her recipe is for just the asparagus with a mustard seed cream sauce but I had some cooked new potatoes left from the night before so I thought it would be great with those & a poached egg on top, everything is great with a poached egg on top!! You could also serve it on leftover mash.Ibought the book in TK MAX which has a brilliant reduced recipe book section, so many to choose from. I also bought some measuring cups which are great for american recipes, anyway..
Spiced Asparagus Brunch
Vegetarian Serves 2
For the sauce:
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp poppy seeds (I didn’t have any mustard seeds)
- 1/2 tsp onion seeds
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 clove garlic crushed
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 100ml creme fraiche (about 1/2 tub)
- handful fresh coriander chopped
For the Asparagus
- 1 bunch asparagus
- enough cooked new potatoes quartered
- 1/4 red onion chopped
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- squeeze lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- coriander sprigs to garnish
- For the sauce, heat the oil & butter in a small pan with the cumin, poppy & onion seeds.
- When they start to sizzle add the onion & garlic & fry until light golden.
- Turn down the heat & add the garam masala, salt, pepper & lemon juice & stir well.
- Add the creme fraiche & cook for about a minute.
- Add chopped coriander & turn off heat
- Meanwhile steam the asparagus for 3 or 4 minutes until just tender.
- Heat some oil in a large frying pan and fry 1/4 chopped red onion over a med high heat with the rest of the spices for a few minutes until softened & fragrant.
- Add the chopped cooked potatoes & stir to coat in the onion & spice mixture, cook for 2 mins.
- Add the cooked asparagus to the potatoes stir to coat & cook for 1-2 mins.
- Add the lemon juice, salt & pepper turn the heat off & put a lid on.
- Have a pan of boiling water on the go when you are nearly ready to serve add some vinegar to the water.
- Turn the water off & crack both eggs into the water very near the surface.
- Put the lid on & leave for 3mins.
- To serve put the asparagus & potatoes on the bottom of the dish.
- Take the poached eggs out of the water with a slotted spoon & drain on kitchen roll.
- Put the eggs on top of the asparagus.
- Spoon the warm sauce around the asparagus & potatoes & garnish the eggs with coriander