This morning, while walking the dog, we picked a few early pomegranates which are just beginning to ripen. Already starting to think about lunch and how we could incorporate them.
Then while walking past the goats & getting that unmistakable smell it reminded me of a goats cheese, pomegranate & hazelnut salad I had seen in the Flavour book by Vicky Bhogal. The only thing was that this salad had a blueberry dressing & blueberries are really difficult to get hold of here.
So the only other fruit I had in my fridge was some papaguayos which are a similar to a peach & really juicy. I was happy with the pomegranate, goats cheese & peach combo as it had that Arabian flavour I was looking for so I decided to add some orange flower water to the dressing along with black pepper & fresh coriander…
- Grilled Goats Cheese & Pomegranate Salad Recipe
- 1 small roll goats cheese (with rind)
- 1 Pomegranate
- 2 Peaches chopped
- 2 handfuls rocket
- 1 handful hazelnuts (toasted in a dry pan)
- 4 slices of country bread (or ciabatta) sliced on the diagonal
- 1 shallot chopped
- 1 small clove garlic chopped
- 2 or 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp sherry vinegar
- 2 tsp soft brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp orange flower water
- 1 dsp miel de cana * (or honey)
- salt & lots of black pepper
- handful of fresh coriander chopped ( Plus extra sprigs for garnish)
Serves 2 Vegetarian
*Miel de Cana is a cane sugar honey produced in Malaga. It has a flavour similar to maple syrup & is great in salad dressings & drizzled over fried aubergines.
- Put the shallot in the pan with 1 tbsp olive oil and the crushed garlic, stir & fry for a minute or so to soften.
- Tumble in the peaches (keep a handful back to put through the salad) with the vinegar, sugar, flower water, miel de cana, ground coriander & ground black pepper.
- Stir & leave to stew on a low heat for about 10 mins.
- Cut the pomegranate in half horizontally through the middle, hold the cut side over a bowl & hit the back of it with a wooden spoon until all the jewel like seeds tumble out. (Half may be enough for 2 people).
- Put the grill on to heat up & toast the pieces of ciabatta on 1 side
- Cut the goats cheese into 8 slices & place them on the untoasted side of the bread(2 slices per piece of bread).
- Meanwhile blitz the peach mixture with a stick blender adding olive oil to achieve the required consistency.(It should be like runny jam).
- Then add salt, more black pepper & fresh coriander, blitz again.
- Put the goats cheese toasts under the grill for about 3 minutes until bubbling & brown.
- Dress the rocket & chopped peaches with olive oil & sherry vinegar, salt & pepper.
- Put the toasts on top of the rocket, spoon over some of the peach dressing, sprinkle with toasted hazelnuts & finally rain on the pomegranate seeds.
Eat & enjoy the flavours & textures in this exotic salad!!