At this time of year tomatoes are really reasonably priced so if you buy a lot at once & maybe discover that the flavour isn’t that great as sometimes happens especially with the inexpensive varieties, roast them.
Roasting any vegetable intensifies the flavour & makes them sweeter. It’s really easy just take the core out of the tomatoes, cut them in half or quarters, put them on a baking sheet (with some red onions if you like) drizzle with olive oil, balsamic vinegar & miel de cana(or honey). Add salt, pepper & some oregano or thyme & maybe a few dried chilli flakes if you like it spicy. Toss it all together to coat & roast at 200 degrees for 35 – 40 mins until caramelized & gorgeous!
Roasted tomatoes are fab stirred through pasta, on a pizza, with couscous & feta, with anything really. My favourite recipe is for a roasted tomato, cumin & smoked mozzarella tart….
Roasted Tomato, Cumin & Smoked Mozzarella Tart
Serves 2 to 4 (Depending on how hungry you are)
- 1 sheet puff pastry (or 1 block rolled out to a rectangle about 3-5mm thick) defrosted
- 1 baking sheet of roasted tomatoes(or tomatoes & red onion) see above.
- 2 tsp cumin seeds (dry roasted in a pan)
- 2 or 3 tbsp of you favourite tomato pasta sauce (I use Barilla Tomato & Ricotta)
- 1 tsp basil pesto
- 3 thick slices of smoked mozzarella (or as much as you like)
- some shaved parmesan
- preheat the oven to 22o degrees.
1. Put the puff pastry rectangle on a heated baking sheet lined with oiled baking paper.
2. Prick all over the centre with a fork
3. Scatter the toasted cumin seeds all over the pastry including the edges and lightly press in.
4. Using a sharp knife, score all around the edge about 1 & 1/2cm from the edge.
5. Mix the pasta sauce with the pesto & spread it all over the base inside the border
6. Arrange the tomatoes within the border, tear off pieces of the smoked mozzarella & scatter it evenly around the tomatoes.
7. Finish with a few fresh parmesan shavings.
8. Brush the pastry border with beaten egg, then fold the edges to meet the line & create a folded border, brush the border with egg again.
9. Bake for 20 – 25 mins until the pastry is browned,
10. To serve scatter some rocket over the tart & eat immediately !!
I used the leftover roasted veg the next day in a salad.The Washer Up came up with the idea for a twist on the classic Tricolore using roasted tomatoes, mozzarella & avocado on a bed of rocket drizzled with olive oil & balsamic vinegar topped with freshly shaved parmesan.
The Washer Up just wants to say that this is the mess he has to deal with every time I leave the kitchen..