These are some of our beautiful home grown chillis. The Washer Up is very fond of chilli & so am I but he would have it on everything! We grew the birdseye chillis (the little fiery ones)from seeds in a pot on our roof terrace & the Scotch Bonnet plant (the rounder ones)was given to us by The Washer Up’s sister in law & nephews when she moved back to the UK.
They are green first & then they turn red, you can pick them when they are green or red (the green ones are not quite as hot).The thing is with chillis is that they you get loads ripening at once & they come in quite large packs. A great tip is to freeze them in a little plastic container then you can just take one out when you need it, chop it & use it straight away. That way you always have fresh chillis when you need them.
As we have a mountain of them The Washer Up has decided to make a chilli & garlic oil with some of them so he can drizzle it over everything!
Garlic & Chilli Oil Recipe
Makes 500ml Vegan
- 5ooml olive oil
- 10 – 20 chillis ( depending on how hot you like it)
- 4 or 5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Finely chop the chillis (with the seeds)& garlic.
- Blend the chillis & garlic together with 100ml of the oil.
- Then add the rest of the oil, salt & sugar and blend again.
- Pour the chilli oil into a bottle with some of the pulp.
- Keep the rest of the pulp in a sealed jar to use for cooking.
Chilli oil can be used on pizzas, pastas, salads or brushcetta as well as in Asian dishes. Just a little goes a long way. Chilli is fantastic at bringing out the other flavours in dishes and is definitely addictive- you will be having it on everything!