This recipe is a real fusion of Italian & Indian techniques & flavours. I’m sure it will have the purists squirming but it tastes really amazing. The idea is to combine the idea of an Italian pesto with an Indian curry paste to create a sauce for wholemeal spaghetti. It is really easy to make and there are endless combinations to try.
Mushroom, Walnut & Chilli Spaghetti Recipe
Serves 2 Vegetarian
- 300gr assorted mushrooms sliced
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- 200gr wholemeal spaghetti
For the Walnut, Chilli & Coriander Pesto/Paste
- 100gr walnuts
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 red chilli chopped
- 1 heaped tsp ginger paste
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- a handful of coriander chopped (plus extra for garnish)
- a little veg stock (or pasta cooking liquid) to thin out the sauce.
- Fry the onion in hot oil until translucent.
- Add the rest of the pesto ingredients except the coriander and fry for 3 or 4 mins.
- Tip the mix into a blender add the coriander & pulse until it forms a paste.
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet
- Add a bit more oil to the pesto pan and fry the mushrooms with a squeeze of lemon juice until soft.
- Add 2 or 3 tsp of the walnut pesto to the mushrooms with a splash of veg stock or pasta liquid.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the pesto sauce then stir to combine well.
- Serve garnished with fresh coriander.
- You will have some of pesto left which can be stored in sealed container in the fridge.
This is a really great flavour combination but there are many more to try. What about Hazelnut,Feta, Pea & Mint or Parsley, Almond & Lemon, Choose a country and pick their well known tried & tested flavours & experiment!