But look how gorgeous it looks and it’s really easy and tastes so much better than the bought stuff. You can make it in about 10-15 minutes and eat it warm if you like with fresh fruit or with tomatoes & honey on toast. Go on you know you want to…
Homemade Ricotta Recipe
Makes about 150gr Ricotta Vegetarian
- 500ml whole milk
- 250ml double cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Put a sieve over a bowl & line the sieve with 2 or 3 pieces of kitchen roll.
- Put the milk, cream & salt in a large saucepan & bring slowly to the boil over a medium heat, stirring continuously.(Do not let it burn!)
- When the milk has reached a rolling boil add in the lemon juice, stir & turn the heat down to low.
- Stir for a few seconds until the milk starts to separate. Once separated pour into the prepared sieve to drain.
5. Leave the ricotta to drain for about 2 minutes then carefully bring the corners of the kitchen roll together, twist & squeeze some of the liquid out of the ricotta into the bowl. The liquid is the whey and dogs and cats love it!
6. Once you are happy with the consistency (it should still be quite soft & wet) you can either use it straight away with fruit & honey as a great breakfast or use it in dessert recipes.
If you want a more savoury cheese to use in lasagne or for stuffing raviolis or making gnocchi you can start to flavour it now. I added some more salt, black pepper, fresh thyme leaves & some lemon zest, but you can add whatever you feel like or whatever goes with what you are going to use it for.
I left mine to drain longer & squeezed more of the liquid out as I am using it to make Spinach & Ricotta Gnocchi which requires a firmer texture. I also left it in the kitchen roll overnight in the fridge to firm up.