Having been inspired by my Dad’s comment on my “70’s” Stuffed Tomatoes recipe about bringing back the cheese & pineapple on a foil hedgehog, I have called his bluff & brought it up to date!
We have a mountain of our homegrown scotch bonnet chilli peppers in the freezer & I had been thinking about doing a Caribbean inspired dish using them & the mango I have in my fridge. I was watching a programme called Caribbean Food made Easy (I think) where they cooked fish with Caribbean spices in foil on the barbecue & served it with a mango salsa. Obviously I don’t eat fish so I had to come up with replacement for it which is when I remembered the Foil Baked Feta recipe in Vicky Bhoghal’s book Flavour which is delicious. It was all starting to come together…
Baked Feta & Mango Salsa Recipe
Serves 2 Vegetarian
For the Feta:
- 200gr block Greek Feta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 clove garlic chopped
- 1 small scotch bonnet chilli (deseeded & chopped) you can use any fresh chilli or dried 1/2 tsp
- a sprig of thyme leaves
- some coriander leaves
- 1/2 tomato chopped
- 1/2 tsp tomato paste
- 1/4 red onion finely sliced
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Some crusty bread for mopping up the juices
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees
- Tear off a large piece of foil, put the feta in the middle and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Make a little pouch by folding up the foil and bake for 10 mins
Meanwhile make the Mango Salsa:
- 1 mango chopped
- the other half of the tomato
- the other half of the garlic clove
- 1/4 red onion chopped
- the juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1 chilli deseeded & chopped(you can’t use a scotch bonnet as the heat only comes out when they are cooked)
- a handful of chopped coriander
- a handful of chopped fresh mint
- salt & black pepper
- Mix everything together in a bowl, taste for seasoning, and place in a serving dish or bowl.
Enjoy this straight away and imagine yourself on a Caribbean/Greek island!
Obviously you can keep it real with Greek flavours in the pouch, oregano, parsley, chopped olives, whatever you fancy, just make it gorgeous…