We have so many figs at the moment I think I have tried every recipe there is but this has to be the easiest and it’s great on toast, with goat’s cheese or even in little fig jam tarts!
The flavour of figs lends itself perfectly to the middle eastern spices creating a heady perfume with rose water and orange blossom water that transports you to 1001 warm nights in exotic palaces….
Arabian Fig Jam Recipe
Makes 1 Jam Jar Vegetarian
- 500gr fresh figs chopped
- 110 gr sugar
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp rose water
- 1/2 tsp orange blossom water
- a splash of white wine
- 2 tbsp water
- Put the figs, sugar, lemon juice, spices and flower waters in a bowl and leave them for about 30 mins.
- Pour the mix into a saucepan, add the wine & water and bring to the boil over a medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Turn the heat down and simmer for about 15 mins until the jam is thick.
- Transfer the jam while hot to a glass jar that has been sterilized with hot water. Don’t fill it right to the top and put the lid on.
- Leave to cool, then store in the fridge.
If you don’t have all the spices etc, don’t worry it will still be delicious!