This is a Nigella recipe that I tried out for dinner last night. I was looking for something to do with sweet potato that isn’t really sweet, a lot of recipes seem to go down that cinnamon route which I find too sickly unless it’s a dessert of course! This is definitely worth trying as a midweek dinner as it’s really easy, you just put everything in on baking dish and leave it. I have changed the original slightly by adding tomatoes make it more juicy and added a bit of dried chilli, fresh thyme & rosemary for flavour..
Roasted Sweet Potato & Halloumi Bake
Serves 2 or 3 Vegetarian
- 1 large sweet potato washed & cut into 2 or 3cm chunks
- 1 large potato cut into 2 or 3 cm chunks
- 1 red onion peeled &cut into eighths
- 2 small red peppers deseeded & cut into 2 cm squares
- about 6 cloves of garlic unpeeled
- 2 tomatoes cut into eighths
- 3 or 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- a couple of sprigs of fresh thyme leaves
- salt & black pepper
- about 125gr halloumi sliced thinly
- Preheat the oven to 2oo degrees.
- Put all the veg in a large ovenproof baking dish, drizzle with the olive oil, sprinkle with the herbs, chilli, salt & pepper. Then toss it all together with your hands so it is evenly coated.
- Roast in the oven for about 45 mins until the veg is tender & slightly browned.
- Turn on the grill or turn the oven up to high then put the sliced halloumi evenly over the veg.
- Put under the grill or in the very hot oven for 5 to 10 mins until the hallomi is has melted & browned
This does make quite a lot so you will probably have some leftover, I used mine to make a sweet potato tortilla for lunch the next day.
Roasted Sweet Potato Tortilla Recipe
serves 2 vegetarian
- leftover roasted veg
- 4 eggs
- grated parmesan
- salt & black pepper
- parsley & thyme chopped
- shaved parmesan
- Just heat some oil in a large frying pan and add the roasted veg.
- Meanwhile crack the eggs into a measuring jug and top it up to 275 ml with milk, whisk together, add the grated parmesan, salt & pepper and whisk again.
- Pour this mixture over the veg and cook on medium low with a lid on for about 10 mins.
- When the eggs are nearly set sprinkle the chopped herbs over the top and put the lid back on for a minute.
- Serve topped with shaved parmesan